Thursday, September 16, 2010

On to the next test and my discovery today

I'm soooo tired today so I'll try to write a quick update....

First of all--THANKS for all the comments on yesterdays post!!! I had a rough day watching Ryder go through those tests and needed to do a little soul- searching last night;) I am feeling better today and your comments helped and made me feel that I'm not alone in this (I know we aren't, but sometimes I just feel helpless and need to bounce around some thoughts)--we've got amazing support!

So today I was feeding Ryder breakfast. He was happy and playful, imitating my actions/noises. Out of the blue he stopped and looked like he was staring off into space. About 10-15 seconds and he was cheerful again. The same episode happened about 3 min. later. I started clapping, calling him and waving my hands in front of his face to gain his attention, but nothing! Right then it clicked and a lot of pieces seemed to fit for me. As a teacher, I've had several students in the past who have silent seizures (don't know how to spell but its like petit-mal seizure. I was shown what to watch for and noticed them easily in other kids---but realized this has been happening to Ryder for as long as I can remember. I always made comments to Les that I was worried about his unemotional gazes that seemed to occur a lot throughout the day. He also sleeps A LOT for his age. I wonder if it's due to these seizures??

I called the Ped and Neuro. The Ped nurse called me right away. I brought Ryder for his 1 year shots today and talked to Dr. Jones (Ped) about everything. Haven't talked to neuro yet...
Dr. Jones office called Banner Desert to set up an EEG. She told me that if I haven't heard from someone by Monday to call her. With the way appointments/scheduling is going--I need to add Banner Desert to speed dial:) I'm sure I'll call myself on Monday to schedule something.

I spoke with a mom of a former student (who is also my sub while I'm on this leave) Her son had these silent seizures when he was about Ryder's age to. The 1st EEG didn't reveal anything. She kept pushing and told the doctors she KNEW he was having these seizures. She really got a run-around about getting another EEG--but once she did the doctors were shocked by how many seizures he was having, but didn't show on the 1st EEG. He was put on medicine for a year--no results. He was put on a diet that did help him. She is going to give me a book about the diet tomorrow. Something to look into---I know what works for 1 person doesn't always work for another. Any ideas??? I don't know to much about seizures.

I am so happy to be at home. I wouldn't have caught this if I was working!!!!

Nighty--nite---off to bed (at 5:30 heehee!)

5 comments:

  1. So sorry I wasn't online to comment yesterday. My belief is that each person does the best they can with what they are given. Everyone relies on something different such as grateful perspective that yields hope and optimism, religion, and/or support and love of those closest to them.

    I believe that despite how challenging the current situation with Ryder is, he is so lucky to have such a caring mom who puts in her all to invest in helping him. Please be good to yourself, I truly believe strength comes from within, first and foremost.

    My love and support is with you, trooper Ryder, Les and the boys.~Love Aunt Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this blog, I am glad you keep us posted on Ryder. Sharon and I are still in Minnesota and want to show our support. We are praying that all goes well. I know this is an exhausting and frustrating time for you and your family. We hope the doctors do the right thing. I am glad you are home with Ryder, staying home with him is so important.

    Love,
    Cathy Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise and Les,

    I hope you too have a better day tommarow. Get some well deserved rest and see you at 6pm Friday evening. My prayers always with you, Ryder's parents. I believe God will give you a better day tommarow. I am looking for Dinner with you and feel like I am helping God out here for you.

    Much Love,
    Scott O'Brien

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott-- you truely are helping God and us:) You will never know how much you mean to me. I believe God put us in each other's lives for a reason. I may have helped you--but YOU have changed my path in life and initiated the spark and drive in my life to help those find their own voice. Maybe you were picked to be in my life so that I can help Ryder to live a happy life and understand, accept and love him no matter what---just as I love you:) I am amazingly proud of you Scott!!!!! What a great person you are and a light in everyone's life you touch!!!! Reading your post today really made me sooo happy:) Thank you very much. Can't wait for dinner tomorrow too..... by the way, in the last post when you said sometimes we didn't get along---I always adored you and knew you worked sooo hard. Everyone has their off days when we don't want to work or have the drive to do anything. You were sooo cute--even in your tantrums;) Can you imagine-- I was your age now when I started working with you (at 3years old!!!) You will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart. Love you tons!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awhh, thanks Denise. You have made my day too. I thought that was great what you said and I truly believe in it too. Thanks a lot and keep up on the blog. I know God has something to say to you everyday. My saying "Never Give Up" is in my belief of God.

    Love,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete