Sunday, July 17, 2011

Short version of a long story & our lives changing directions--yet again!

I have soooo very much information to share after our recent trip and going to the ULF conference. I will have to wait until we are home and I have more time to give the whole story. But for now...a few quick updates--We've met new amazing friends and supporters, lots of doctors and have a whole lot more information and opportunities for Ryder!!!!!

Some very recent discoveries and changes in short version---
1. I am concerned about Noah being affected as well. It may not be the case--but learned that his skin coloring may be a sign. We've always called him our beach baby and he gets so many compliments on his skin tone---well of course---he is so gorgeous!!!!! It may be a sign of Addison's disease. The whole family needs to be tested.

2. I have a lot of symptoms as a possible carrier.....fatigue, bladder issues, migraines, okay--I'm always tripping and stubbing my toes--so a little clumsy!!I get dizzy and have blurred vision and lower back pain often. It could be the many other diagnoses I have--or from stress--but further evaluation will be done. Symptoms often appear in a woman's 30's....hmmm

3. Ryder has pulled out his NG tube and it is really irritating his skin and obviously uncomfortable for him. We will be getting a G-tube or Mic-key tube (don't know the difference yet?) when we get home...which means back to the hospital for us---uugh. NG tubes are meant for short term. In reality, Ry will not regain swallowing skills and will always need asistance.

4. I will not be attending nursing school as planned. My kids need me now and that's more important. I will go back to school---even if I'm 80--to be a nurse:) I guess sometimes you have to put your own dreams on the back burner when you are a mama! This choice is partly for Ry and his medical needs and because I just learned both boys got excepted into Eduprize (charter school w/very long waiting list---w/focus on science/hands on curriculum---just awesome all around!!!!) They start this Thursday--if we get home in time from our trip!!! We are supposed to get home on Wednesday, but flying stand-by. Hail damaged some Frontier plans (which we are flying) and they canceled many flights. The school will accommodate us since we had a 4 day notice of acceptance!

5. I'd like to speak with my side of the family more about medical history (so expect a call or visit;) Al ports syndrome sounds a lot like advancement of a leukodystrophy--without cerebral disease (which happens) Kidney issues (overall organ functioning is affected in leuko) hearing, vision, walking and so on. It might not be anything--but interesting to learn more about.

6. I need help finding a pro bono lawyer, starting fundraisers (will be going to Kennedy Krieger or Mayo Clinic often) and referrals for endocrinologist (understanding leukodystrophy) and physiologist.

I think those are the top updates for now---if this is the short version-- the whole story may be a novel (haha)

****ironic observation--when I run spell check leukodystrophy comes up as catastrophy (that it sure is!!!!)

3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Very interesting infor.. I am anxious to hear the rest. So glad that you guys got to go to the conference and spend time with Amber. We love you guys and can't wait to see you again.

    All of our Love
    April Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, all that in a weekend! Amazing. I'm so glad you were able to go. Possibly Addison's huh? I'm glad that you are going to get the help and testing that you need. I would be happy to help with any fundraising you do. I can talk to Will and see if he is up to doing another Arizona concert! He stays really busy, but he told us he would love to come back... I would love to have him come again and do a concert to help raise some money for you.

    Sorry about nursing school. It sounds like you are making the right decision. And you will be a fantastic nurse when the time is right. You are such a great mommy and a wonderful person! Congratulations to the boys. I have heard amazing things about Eduprize.

    Sorry also about the upcoming hospital stay. I think you will all be much happier with the G-tube though. (A Mic-key is just a type of G-tube) Let me know if I can help in any way.

    Have a safe trip home. I'm looking forward to the long version of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lady! Such a whirl-wind life you lead. I'm happy that you are finding several paths that may lead you to the answers you so deserve. Thinking of you often!

    ReplyDelete