Friday, July 1, 2011

conti. update.....tube is in

continued update.....
sorry..couldn't turn pic!
Well "training" meant I just jumped right in and put the tube in myself with supervision. As of now Ryder has a NG tube through his nose down into his stomach. I put the tube 34 cm down through his nose. I started crying after the 1st 10 cm with him screaming:( I was definitely traumatized doing that more than Ryder was! It was scary, but I needed to be able to do it so I can care for him at home. It was better that way so I don't stay up dreading the task all night! He will have a pump at night for fluids and I was given a stethoscope. I am getting a quick crash course before starting my nursing classes at least!  Anyways, Ryder seems to be adjusting to it so far. We will be in the hospital until Monday night. We are hoping he doesn't try pulling it out of his nose. If he does, we will need to get a GI tube through his stomach. I sent Les home to grab some pillows and stuff so at least we can be a little more comfortable! My cell phone is out of battery...Les will grab my charger too (if he remembers). I forgot to mention in the 1st update that Ryder has another ear infection also. His right ear is draining tons of puss..yucky. The doctor said that means the tubes are working at least.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for all of you and hoping you get some sleep tonight.
    The ear draining is pretty gross isn't it? I remember that with Luke's ear tubes.
    Let me know if you need any help with the other boys. I would be happy to help watch them and I am sure they would have fun here with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think this is likely the worst Birthday of your life! I think you need a Redo as well!!!
    Our family has also experienced the stay in triage until 4am. I don't know how that is suppose to be good for a sick child. They need to let you sign up for a room & let you go home and call you when the room comes available because the system they have now is CRAZY!
    I agree with Tammy when it comes to 'training' it lacks a lot! everything I learned about an NJ-tube or G-tube or venting them etc. I learned from other people or online.
    And when it comes to budget cuts it really bothers me how the state has money to build a freeway in the northwest valley that is rarely used & almost every freeway in the west valley is under construction but they have no money for state medical programs????
    I hope your stay tonight is better & that Ryder is doing well. I will remember you in my prayers I wish I could do something to help♥ (((Hugs))) to you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that picture brings back memories. Poor little guy...and Mom. I'm hoping and praying that you all have a better night tonight. Give me a call anytime if you would like to talk or need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Denise, I'm so sorry. My heart just breaks for you all. Your courage and strength is nothing less than inspirational. Please know how often I think of your family and pray for you! If there is ever ANYTHING I can do, please just let me know. Amy

    ReplyDelete